Update on Westhead Village Hall

It is now almost 2 years since the current trustees took over the management of Westhead Village Hall from St James Church and achieved charitable status.

The hall was built in 1929 and donated to the village by the Blundell family, especially for the Girl Guides and Westhead Mothers Union.  Basic maintenance had been carried out over the years but the hall desperately needed bringing into the 21st century.

Various fund raising events were arranged and the trustees set about hiring out the Hall on an hourly rate to regular users.  This was not enough to resolve the many issues so it was decided to apply for grants. Fortunately we were very lucky in being awarded a grant for £19,734 from the Whitemoss Community Fund, which is administered by GrantScape.  We then set about replacing windows and repairing the lintels around the main room.  The central heating was completely replaced with the latest system so the gas bills reduced overnight.   The lighting was also replaced with an LCD system and the electric bills also reduced.  The main entrance was completely renovated and all external doors were replaced and now comply with current day safety regulations for emergency and disabled access.  The ladies toilets were also completely renovated together with the various accessories for it to double as a disabled toilet.

The majority of the work was done by trusted local trades people to an exceptionally high standard including painting and decorating kindly donated by Matt Valentine.   Some 80 new chairs and tables have been purchased which means many more events can be held in comfort.

Income from lettings has increased since this work was completed and the future of the hall looks bright for the coming years.